Sign up to our e-newsletter and keep up to date with news, events and developments at the Tanfield Railway, the World’s Oldest Railway.
1940s Weekend - Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd September
NEW for 2018! Step back to the 1940s and experience Home Front life in wartime Britain during the Second World War.
Andrews House station will feature Second World War posters and music. Men and women in period uniforms and civilian clothing will complement the authenticity of the weekend.
Steam locomotives and rolling stock of pre-WWII vintage will be in operation throughout the weekend.
Confirmed for the event so far;
- The Victory in Europe Re-enactment Association will be joining us in period uniforms and with a display of WWII artefacts and memorabilia.
- RAF Warrant Officer with a 1948 Rover P3 - see an Air Gunner get dressed for work, from long johns to parachute!
- Railway Transportation Officer, Royal Engineers display - at Andrews House station visit a Railway Transport Officer's desk area, complete with typewriter, field telephone, books and paperwork, message board, blackboard and sand bags.
- The Seatones will be performing live music in Andrews House station garden at 11.30am - 12pm, 1pm - 1.30pm, 2.30pm - 3pm and 3.45pm - 4.15pm.
- City Swing, a 21 piece Big Band, will be performing in Marley Hill carriage shed on Saturday at 12pm - 1pm and 2pm - 3pm.
- Colin Bourdiec will be performing George Formby live music in East Tanfield station waiting area at 11am, 12.15pm, 1.45pm and 3pm.
- 1940's American Field Camp with 1944 American GMC 353 CCKW. Evacuees and children in 1940's clothing.
- British civilian promenade display in Marley Hill carriage shed.
- Second World War vehicles.
- US 82nd airbourne equipment on display with GI's & Dolls group.
- Ava Vintage Personal Styling stall in Marley Hill carriage.
- The 29th Field Kitchen will be serving the troops at Marley Hill, using original Soyer Cookers and authentic wartime recipes and equipment.
- On Sunday, take a look onboard a 1949 built Bristol, ex United single-decker bus at East Tanfield.
Standard fares apply. Tanfield Unlimited Tickets valid.
Would you like to join us in period clothing, or with a display or vehicle? We'd love to hear from you! Please fill out the application form below and we'll be back in touch.
Visitors who join us in costume receive complimentary train travel. Please note though, only home front and allied force costumes will be allowed on site during the event.
22 September 2018